And hey, doctor? Yes, you. The one who treats me totally different than the 40something mom who came in your office before me. I think you need to hear this too.
I’ve got a couple declarations to make and I’d appreciate if you’d sit down and listen. There’s a few things I want you to know about young moms like me:
1. We aren’t dumb. Let’s get that out the way first.
2. We are “real parents” like everyone else you may meet. We care about formula vs. breastfeeding, organic vs. nonorganic food, stroller vs. babywearing and all those other decisions parents have to make. We care.
3. We do not all resent our children and pass them off on whatever relative is willing. I’m talking to you, Michael Baisden.
4. Yes, we have sex. That’s okay. (I can’t tell you how many Twitter fights I’ve gotten into because someone says young moms should close their legs forevermore. It’s insulting and completely unrealistic.)
5. We are on a journey and we’re okay with that. We might not have been where we wanted to be when we had kids, but we’re on a journey to find ourselves. And our kids are witnessing our growth.
6. Speaking of our kids, they don’t know how old we are “supposed to be” and they don’t judge us like you might. They love us whether we are 16 or 26, 14 or 34.
What would you add to the list?