You’re reading my five-part goal setting series to help you #SmashYourGoals. Read the other four tips here.
1) Determine what YOU want
3) Break your goals into reasonable steps
4) Do the work!
This is the simplest and most basic step of all five. It’s time to stop fooling around, to stop procrastinating, and just DO THE $%@$@%# WORK.
Of course, this is where most people get stuck. Because they’ve thought about what they want to do, they’ve made plans for it, they’ve probably told their friends for accountability. But yet, the goal is unmet because they haven’t done the work.
So if this is the step that you usually get stuck on, let me ask you a few questions:
- Do you want it more than you are afraid of it?
- Would you still be satisfied if this goal is never met? (If yes, sounds like someone needs to go back to step 1.)
- If you are in the same place a year from now, will you be kicking yourself that you gave up?
- What is your biggest obstacle in achieving this goal? Does any part of it depend on someone else’s actions? How will you navigate that?
- Will this goal take longer than you originally anticipated? Are you okay with that?
- How will reaching this goal benefit you personally, personally, spiritually, mentally? What is in it for YOU?
As I said in an earlier post, you have to learn how to be accountable to yourself. Accountability partners are great, but you can’t live a successful life if you are more concerned with letting down others than you are with disappointing yourself.
Next up: How’d you do?