I found this recipe on Pinterest and had to try it. I made it gluten-free for my daughter, but even if you’re not avoiding gluten, this will be delicious. My batch did not photograph well, so I’m going to use Home Cooking Memories’ photo in place of the blurry, cheesy looking picture I took. *sigh* Sometimes iPhone photography is not your best friend. Anyway, onto the recipe!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large handful of a frozen stir fry veggie blend (I use the peppers and onions version)
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach or one frozen spinach block (defrosted and squeezed dry)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional – adjust to your preference)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 jar marinara sauce
- 4 oz Sargento Italian pasta cheese
Preheat the oven to 375. Prepare a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray or brush with oil.
Heat a small skillet over medium heat and drizzle in the olive oil. Toss in the veggies (stir fry blend and spinach) and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add in the seasonings (including the Worcestershire sauce) and let cool. Mix the ground turkey with the beaten egg and then add in the sauteed vegetables. Sprinkle in just enough Parmesan cheese to help the meatballs hold their shape. Bake for 20 minutes.
Once the meatballs have cooked through, pour the marinara sauce over the meatballs, top with cheese and put it back in the oven until the sauce is hot and the cheese is melted. Enjoy! Serve with salad or pasta (or both!).
I loved this because even though I used the really lean turkey, it was still moist thanks to all the veggies in there. And once you add in the marinara sauce, you’re getting a nice sized serving of vegetables. Try it and let me know how you like it!